Top Ten Tuesday is a meme brought to us by the wonderful bloggers from The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is the Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When it Comes to Romances in Books. I will be doing 5 of each since I don’t think I could come up with 10 dislikes or 10 likes.
Top Five Things I Like When it Comes to Romances in Books:
- Best Friend to Soulmate: this is probably my favorite kind, where the couple grows as friends and they later develop these feelings for each other! (It’s kind of a dream, really!)
- Love Triangles: as much as I hate it because of all the feelings, they’re kind of fun to read. A lot of drama is involved as well, and that’s the favorite kind haha
- Bad boy & good girl: I love when there’s a bad boy involved, especially those who are really good guys! I love how they change to be a better person once they meet the good girl.
- Star-crossed lovers: While I didn’t like Romeo & Juliet, I do love that “we-can’t-be-together” romance, especially if in the end, they persevere.
- Be Still My Heart: this is when the romance just gives me way too many feels and leaves me crippled on an emotional roller coaster ride. I love the details and the corniness and just everything!
Top Five Things I Dislike When it Comes to Romances in Books:
- Sex Scenes: I’m all for the love scenes but I don’t like it when they go over the top. I don’t need that much detail, no thank you.
- Dropping off the Face of the Earth: This is when the character gets a boyfriend and suddenly nothing else exists. They drop their friends and family and their priority is their boyfriend/girlfriend!
- Dependence: the “I can’t live without them” idea rubs me the wrong way. I get that you love them but you have to lead your own life, as well.
- Death: Don’t you just hate with when you have a ship and the author kills of one of them? Enough said.
- How did that Happen?: There are some characters that make me wonder why they stay with their boyfriend/girlfriend when they treat them so horribly. I’ll never understand that.
What do you like or dislike about the romance in books? Is there some of my likes/dislikes that you agree with it?